Howard Goodall

Before this class, I have never found an interest in looking into opera. After watching this video, I am a bit more intrigued by the musical talent and emotion opera carries. Howard Gooddall goes into depth explaining a musician called Orfeo who makes a task of himself to travel to this underworld in order to be reunited with his beloved wife. The way he sings and casts this emotion through his piece of art in singing opera is truly beautiful and something that needs to be more appreciated. As time passes, opera has done an amazing job creating an impact on European areas. With this being said, Italy is painted with labels of those involved with opera which in my opinion is why I believe Italy is so beloved because of its uniqueness and its originality tying into opera. Goodall mentions that opera is the parent of the musical and the two exist and thrive side by side. This stuck out to me because it's amazing looking back and being able to relate the two after being provided more information through this class and making a connection. The only difference I really noticed between the two is the fact that opera singers sing without microphones versus broadway singers. All in all this was a beautiful video engulfed in opera and I was pleasantly surprised with what Gooddall had to say and inform me and other fellow viewers regarding opera!

Comments